Each of the missionaries supported by Highland sends regular updates and prayer requests which receive covering each Wednesday night during an intercessory prayer
time. You can also pick up the annual missions calendar which guides you week by week in praying for HIghland-supported missionaries. It can often seem challenging to know exactly how to pray for missionaries, so here are a few suggestions:
Pray for their country of service
Find out as much as you can about the country, its history, and what’s happening now. Read the papers. Watch TV. Search the Internet for reliable sources.
Pray for their personal needs
- Pray that they will feel at home in the country, culture and climate.
- Pray for their children, particularly if they are at school in a different country.
- Pray for parents back home and for those who support them.
- Pray for good, sustaining friendships.
- Pray for good relationships with national Christian leaders and with fellow workers, some of whom may come from different cultures and countries.
- Pray for them as they learn new languages, to understand its nuances and attempt to communicate. Pray against set backs and discouragement.
- Pray for translators and teachers.
Pray for the national church
- Pray for the pastors and church members in their country. Pray for spiritual growth, and for their ability to teach, preach, disciple and witness. Pray for vision and for love, and for any resources or literature that’s needed.
- Pray for the Christians to be ‘salt and light’ in their neighborhoods, society or government, and for good relations with those of other faiths.